Click the titles to view posts!

Thursday, March 30, 2006

I Am The Only One Here

...and I have nothing to do. I've already done everything they've asked of me and more, but we're always waiting on this client to deliver their collateral or that client to approve this change, or blah effin blah. It's bullshit and it's annoying. There are 183591229 things I could be doing right now if I weren't wasting my time here sitting in front of this slow-ass computer listening to Maria the cleaning lady shuffle by in her disgustingly tight 80's stirrup pants. What could I be doing, you ask? Let me list:

  1. I could register my car.

Right now, if I get pulled over or have my tags run, I will probably be sent to jail. This is because instead of being able to take the time to take care of all the necessary steps to getting my new (uh, "recently purchased") car registered, and since I have to work from nine to six, I'm forced to put on my old tags belonging to my firebird, rest her soul. Interestingly enough, the emissions inspection places all close at five, and the BMV closes at like 2pm. How does anyone register their car? I suppose they could take a day off work, as everyone knows that you'll sit in that office all day waiting for your number to be called, but I can't do that because I had to save up my vacation days over the past five months to go to Telluride (see previous post) with the famtam and Klehr.

  1. I could be working on my father's website.

This project was started in like September of last year and has come a long way considering I've only been able to work on it during the 5.5 hours I get to myself after work. Some weeks I've worked on it every day, but with coaching taking up three days of my week and about two weekends out of a month, it's really hard to progress.

  1. I could be working on my personal website.

I bought www.jasonedelman.com about a month or two ago and have been itching to get started on it (don't go to it, there's nothing there). I've had a couple clever ideas for what I could do with it, but I suspect that I'll never really get the time to work on it so long as I have my dad's site and this job. Maybe one day when I retire I'll have the time to put something up.

  1. I could be training.

Yesterday I ran the 4 x 90/90 intervals, and today following work I am looking to do them again. They wore my ass out, and well they should considering I haven't done hardly anything cardio-wise in months. The word on the street is that Chain is probably not going to take anyone new this year, since a bunch of previous players are coming back and they're only losing like two or three people. The only thing I can really do at this point is give them a taste of what they'll be missing (ha), but in order to do that, I need to get my fat ass back into fighting shape. Maybe the tournament in Wilmington this weekend will help a bit. Maybe Goodson won't try to handle. Stupid 6'5". Looks like another year of Rival for me (which is a helluva fallback plan).

  1. I could be setting up the new division of Columbus Supply in Atlanta

Over the break, I got a chance to talk business with my dad and he thinks that we could open up a branch down here, and I could run it from home. That would be awesome.

  1. I could be outside.

There are only so many days like today. The only reason I know what today is like is because when I get up from my windowless office to go to the bathroom, I can catch a glimpse of what the beautiful day that I'm missing looks like. I think the fluorescent lighting is draining whatever pigment I had from my skin.

  1. I could be cooking my meals

Laugh it up, but I actually enjoy cooking a lot, and I'm pretty good at it. Remember I had to survive in Spain for five months. The problem is that there's never enough time for me to go shopping, prepare the food, eat the food, and clean up because I'm trying to squeeze the six things above into 5.5 hours (okay, five things. It's hard to partially register your car). Also, if I'm not always around the food I purchased, I forget what's mine and just don't use it til it goes bad and then throw it out. This is the kind of destructive behavior that brought me to my sadly true theory that eating every meal out is cheaper than cooking. "No it's not!" you say. Try telling that to my wallet, who cries every time I have to throw out half to three-quarters of my food purchases because I can't eat them or forget I bought them before they go bad. I'd rather actually give the delivery guy from Wingnuts a tip. Delivery fee my ass.

...and finally

  1. I could be enjoying my youth

I sat next to an older lady on the plane home from Colorado last week and following the narcolepsy-inducing in-flight movie, we got to talking about her family, her life, and Jesus (although she quickly changed topics when I gently dropped the Jew-bomb). She told me about her son and daughter are going to this school and are doing this and that and how they're so smart and blah blah blah. Then I asked her about her life, and she told me she went to school to be an architect. When I asked her if she was an architect, she said no, she'd gotten married, had kids, and became a school teacher instead. Then, in true soap opera fashion, I asked her what she would do if she could do it all over again, and she told me that she would have done everything people told her not to do. She would have enjoyed herself while she was young and able to enjoy herself. Granted, by the looks of her, I couldn't imagine that she was even remotely attractive as a young woman, but still, vigor is vigor, and I feel that every day I sit at this desk it's getting slowly sucked out of me.

Now I'm not saying that I should abandon all responsibility and dash willy-nilly betwixt the trees doing as I please. I'm pretty sure about 90% of the corporate working world lives a similar life to mine, and maybe a smaller percentage of working adults have it slightly better or worse. But it just drives me absolutely crazy to be constrained or restrained. It must run in my blood, because my dad is the same way. He's never had a boss other than his dad his whole life. True, he's also worked his ass off for 30-40 some years, but he wasn't ever and still isn't restrained. I need to find a place where my time is my own, or I need to grow up, because the kid in me is driving me crazy and the ambitious adult in me wishes he would shut the hell up.

Word of the Day: benignant adj. kind, gracious; beneficial, favorable

"Nobody move! This is a stick-up!"
"Sir, I don't believe this is in your best interest."
"How benignant of you, Officer. Sorry, guys! My bad."

1 Unauthorized Ramblings:

Around March 31, 2006 9:10 AM, Blogger KQ said...

Welcome to the rebirth of your idealism. Unless you never had it, in which case, welcome to idealism. Don't squash it! Love it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home