It May Hurt Now...
My freshman year of high school, I tried out for the varsity tennis team. I beat a kid my year who was vying for the same spot, but he made the team anyways because he was almost six feet tall and I was yet to develop armpit hair. I played the top spot on the JV team that year and didn't lose a match. During the offseason, my parents became used to me disappearing for whole days at a time not to go smoke weed behind the school or have sex with girls (God, what was I thinking?!), but to go hit serves for hours at a time by myself. During the summer, my friend Alex and I would go to whatever courts were open and spend upwards of six hours hitting, then playing sets, then when we got too tired, just hitting again, until neither of us could move. The next day we would do it again.
The following year, I made the varsity team very easily (well, okay, there were seven seniors on the team that had graduated, but I still beat the shit out of the kid who I had only narrowly defeated the year before). From that point on, I realized that hard work really did pay off.
Interestingly enough, all of the goals in my life have been sports-related. I have one goal right now: play for Atlanta's Open ultimate team, Chain Lightning. As of yesterday, I have completely changed my life around so that I am able to attain this goal: I've started myself on a 15-week vertical-leap enhancing program (that will supposedly add 8-14"...who knew the short kid could dunk?). I've become determined to start eating right and went out and made a significant breakfast investment. I knew my diet was going to be detrimental to my game, and my performance at regionals (that post coming later) was a testament to that. I've designated time in my week to work on my hucks, and have inquired more ultimate-intelligent than me people about what I need to do to get to where I want to be (Trapp, Wood, Ricky, Goodson, etc.). Unless you are Tonya Harding, you can't stop me, bitches.
See you at tryouts next year.
And if I don't make it, I'm going to personally ensure that Rival is the best team in our section, if not our region, come next season.
So if you're ever wondering what I'm doing, I'm training (or programming, but if I'm programming, I'm thinking about training). If you're not, you better get on it, because I'm the kid that's going to school you—not because I'm better or smarter or have a nicer ass, but because I've worked harder than you. I don't know if I've ever wanted anything so badly before, besides maybe Adriana Lima, and I probably (probably) can't get her.
It's on.
Word of the Day: predial adj: of or relating to land or its products.
"Fish and cows can't have babies because of their contrasting predial dispositions." "Or because one's a fish and one's a cow. Stupid freshman."


1 Unauthorized Ramblings:
Eat your wheeties
Post a Comment
<< Home