Recap: Hurricane Katrina Relief Tourney

Recap: Hurricane Katrina Relief Tourney
Okay, I know the picture is of me, but this is my blog, dammit. I'll put a picture of me skying someone if I damn well please. Anyways, for those of you who don't know why putting a picture of me skying someone at this tournament is an asshole thing to do, let me explain.
Georgia Southern hosted a tournament for college teams (starting to get the picture? Not the picture above, Cletus, the big picture) this past weekend, and Emory sent a squad. Me, being the eager beaver that I am (scared to click that link, eh?) decided to go and play with them, since the squad we sent comprised mainly of rookies (nine rookies, six vets?). However, I think it's fair to say that these rookies definitely elevated their status to "not Jeffy Pie" following this tournament (PS—I heart Jeffy Pie). Anyways, I played, but I did not play much or play my usual role. Rather, I told Chimpo and Scotty to play me only when necessary or when the guys needed a boost and/or legs. I tried very hard not to slip into the role of main handler like I did when I was still attending Emory, but after a while, I found that me handling actually helped to improve these kids.
At first I figured I would get the vets more experience by not handling, but when they were needed elsewhere, I decided to step in. My rationale was that (and by no means am I the apotheosis of handler) with me handling, the kids could get a couple more throws completed on offense before an inevitable turn, thus giving them a bit more time to learn how to catch and cut, etc. Also, since I believe I have relatively good competence in the position, it helps the vets learn where they're supposed to be and what they're supposed to be doing if I set a good example. <cockiness>And for me, there's nothing more fun than showing off for impressionable minds :) A couple of layout D's here, some sky D's on guys twice my height there, a (pretty sick, actually) layout grab right in front of the Charlotte women...you know, the usual.</cockiness> Seriously, though, I felt that if I played hard and made "amazing" plays, I could inspire them to want to get better and keep playing, which is what this tournament was all about for us anyways.
As for the tournament recap, I couldn't be prouder of these guys. The first game we played Rumblefish, the second-tier men's team from Atlanta. While not that great of a team on the competitive club level, they still consist of players who have experience. They demolished us and our timidity. Next we played Wilmington (seeded below us), and again we were manhandled, but not nearly as bad as the game before, and not because they were a worse team (which they were). The rookies had gotten better. The next game against a Clemson-UGA B fusion team we were beaten again, but again, the rookies played a little better and the game was a little closer. Even in the next game vs. UCF (who beat top-seeded Rumblefish), our rookies came up big, despite a big loss. We mounted enough of a comeback at one point that UCF had to call a timeout to re-collect themselves. The Jew line (sans me :( ) made a stereotypical appearance in this game, although, for the first time in Emory Ultimate history, the Jew line was unable to deliver us to the Promised Land. Finally we played Charlotte, and this game was the closest of them all. Still playing a ratio of three vets to four rookies most of the game, they squeaked out a win at 12-10, putting us at an astonishingly confident 0-5 for Saturday.
I say astonishingly confident because the rookies actually understood that, despite the losses, they really did play well and really were improving. I personally was amazed at how well they took instruction. It took me three years to learn the concept of force, but only one or two explanations for these guys. Only a tip here and there got them cutting correctly. Hell, Chimpo still doesn't cut right, but Matt Fine sure does (although Chimpo tends to come down with one or two more discs, like this one. OOK OOK) and Isaac and Dima are getting there, among others.
The most pleasant surprise of all came not after my Dima Special, but following the Davidson game (which we lost to their solid four-man cup zone and Mike [very solid this whole weekend] got taken out at the knees and nearly ripped out all the grass on the field while weltering in pain) when we played Clemson-UGA B again. And won, at universe point (see Chimpo picture above, which led to Will coming down with the winning sky). This started the snowball effect, which grew to the point where Charlotte could not contain us the following game and we rolled over them, 14-5. This, of course, is after losing to them the day before. To me, the weekend was unreal in terms of experience gained and overall team improvement.
Vets:
- [Scotty]-Solid popping in the zone, huge D's, had some focus issues, but overall huge.
- [Chimpo]-Always a menace on D, ridiculous catches, and one very sad water cooler.
- [Jamie]-The anti-diarrhea. Had some great and surprising catches.
- [Eric]-Drives me freakin nuts sometimes, but did more good than bad this weekend.
- [Matt]-Excellent cutter. Work on your short range flick.
- [Klehr]-Get away from the poker and get your ass to the gym. Also very solid. Decision-making is getting really good.
- [Edelman]-Without ME, it's just AWESO. :)
Tourney pix courtesy of Dima. See the rest of them here.
Word of the Day: perspicacity n: acuteness of perception, discernment, or understanding.
It doesn't take someone with incredible perspicacity to see that you forgot to wash your hands. You have Jamie and Klehr all over them. (Double meaning? Hmmm...)


0 Unauthorized Ramblings:
Post a Comment
<< Home